Monday 11 April 2016

PMA Charlie's Book Review


Over the years I’ve read many books to help me stay focused, positive and happy. I thought it would be a nice idea to share some of my favourites with you:

1: ‘Go for it’! by Helen Exley.

 This lovely presented pocket book contains 11 chapters full of positive affirmations and quotes by inspirational people. Here are a few of my favourite quotes:


‘All our dreams can come true-if we have the courage to pursue them’. (Walt Disney)

‘The great danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we achieve it’. (Michaelangelo).

‘If we wait till we’re ready, we never do anything’. (Eleanor Roosevelt).


This is a book I take with me on my travels due to its size. I like to read a chapter as soon as I wake up, It really motivates me for the day ahead!

  
2:  ‘Indestructible self-belief’ by Fiona Harrold

From the author of ‘Be Your Own Life Coach’, ‘Indestructible self-belief' guides you through seven chapters of self-awareness, which will leave you feeling more optimistic and positive towards life. Each chapter begins with a quote, here’s my favourite from chapter 7- ‘Building an identity’:

‘It is not because things are difficult we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult’ (SENECA).

At the end of each chapter there is ‘work section’ where you can answer various questions about yourself and your thoughts. I always find putting pen to paper is a really positive way to express how you are feeling. It’s one thing just to read a book, but when you become interactive with it, you take your thinking to a new level!

I find this book really useful when I suffer from ‘negative self-talk’, and I also like the fact you can dip in and out of the chapters depending on what subject is most relevant to you at the time.


3: You Can Be Happy No Matter What’ by Richard Carlson

The core message in this book is that happiness does not come from external circumstances but instead from inside us. This concept is by no means new but the way Richard Carlson presents this idea is easy to understand and can really improve your mindset.

The book contains 11 chapters. Part I explores five principles in detail; the principle of thought, moods, separate realities, feelings and the present moment. While part II looks at how we apply these principles in every day life.

What I enjoy most about this book is the simplicity in which the ideas are discussed. Although the author goes in to each principle in a lot of detail, the ideas are simple and easy to absorb.

When I read books I find it helpful to underline sentences which resonate with me. Here is one of my favourites from this book:

‘A related formula for success: When you focus your attention in this moment, instead of moments that are over or yet to be, you’ll maximize your productivity, creativity, and ability to accomplish your goals’.


4: ‘Feel The Fear And Beyond’ by Susan Jeffers


The sequel to ‘Feel the fear and do it anyway’, Susan Jeffers follows one wonderful book with another that continues the message from the first in more detail and allows the reader to embark on a journey of self-discovery.

After I read ‘Feel the fear and do it anyway’, I was hooked on the ideas presented by Susan Jeffers and thus was so excited to buy the sister title and I was not disappointed! Out of all the books I’ve read, this is the one that has helped me grow in confidence more than any other. A book full of exercises and inspirational letters from readers, you can’t help but feel more positive with each page you read! 

My favourite chapter-‘Replace the chatterbox’-focuses on the negative self-talk voice we all have within us, and fun ways in which we can try and replace this voice with a more positive one. The author suggests that we give our ‘chatterbox’ a name and sets us the following goal: ‘Observe when it is there, laugh and say hello, and then tune in to a higher way of thinking’. 

I love the idea of laughing at ourselves and learning not to take our ‘negative voice’ too seriously! Amazing things can happen when you learn to stop responding to your chatterbox. Try it!


I hope you've enjoyed reading my book reviews. Feel free to share your favourite books with me to!

1 comment: